Thursday, May 5, 2011

Celebrate Cinco de Mayo




Hoy es Cinco de Mayo.

Cinco de Mayo
is a big day in the Mexican community. The holiday is as important to the Mexicans..as St. Patrick’s Day is to the Irish. Out with the Mcs. In with the Mex...and Tex Mex.

Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican victory over the French forces led by Napoleon back in the 1800’s. It isn’t their independence day, but a day that celebrates their Mexican heritage and culture.

You are probably wondering how I happen to have such extensive knowledge of Mexican history. Well, I have a thirst for Google. And a thirst for Corona. Warning: Execessive Coronas while Googling...can lead to spouting off inane random facts.

Anywhoooooooooooooo...........................


I love Mexican food….which means I enjoy the umpteen different ways of serving cheese, refried beans, tomatoes, olives, guacolmole...and more cheese. Same ingredients. Different shape.

But my fav is the Margarita. On the rocks. Salted. Ay, Caramba!

Some watering holes tend to make them way too sweet. Their margarita is five parts sugar mix and one splash tequila. If you are like this Kat, you prefer a less sweet version. That leaves you with two choices......................

Add more TeKILLya, Duh.

Or...do what I do...order a beer with your margarita. Any beer will work...except Pabst Blue Ribbon (use that for gargling.) Add the beer to the margarita...to taste. I usually split my margarita with a friend...kinda girly...and then split the beer. So we order a margarita, another glass with ice, one beer and two limes. For some reason this confuses the wait person.

I have heard there is a SkinnyGirl Margarita out there that uses a mix containing fewer calories. I’m guessing the mix would be good for the waist line. But then I would think there would be the temptation to drink double...which is NOT so good. You end up getting wasted...and not able to walk the line.

The SkinnyGirl mix might sound like a good idea to some, but I’m not buying it. I figure I’ll stick with my beer/margarita mix method and do a little extra salsa dancing the next day.

Enjoy Cinco de Mayo…the day when everyone is free to be Mexican and a little bit loco……….especially after a couple of margaritas.

…….gatoOUT

1 comment:

choose to be happy blog said...

hahaha you are so funny. thank goodness for GOOGLE. and now i get understand where my love of margaritas came from!!

and skinnygirl margarita, the woman who created it (bethany frankel) has her own show, she is hilarious and i have bought it before... it is SUPER DUBER STRONG! apparently skinny means just more alc.

LOVE YOU DRINK CAREFULLY KATWOMAN!