Friday, February 25, 2011

Like Sands of the Hourglass...


Hell no…He won’t go.

Here we go with another political uprising in the Middle East. This time…it is the Libyan people protesting against the rule of Colonel Gaddafi…another Arab leader with his heels dug deep in the sand.

Gaddafi has been the leader of Libya for 41 years and is now desperately clinging to power…like my socks to the inside of my dryer.

He’s refusing to step down…refusing to throw in his military cap and gold epaulettes…for a turban, simple robe, and sandals. (I can understand that.)

Gaddafi has threatened that he will not succumb to the protests...like his neighbors, Egypt and Tunisia. Woah, those are fighting words…he isn’t going down without a struggle.

Believe it or not, Ripley…I was practically neighbors with Gaddafi in Tripoli, Libya many “midnight at the oasis” moons ago. Okay, I lived on an Air Force Base while Gaddafi lived in the palace. I’m glad we weren’t neighbors. I think he would have been a pushy and bossy neighbor…and never return anything he “borrowed.”

Anywhoooooooooooooo………………....

In 1969, Gaddafi came to power at age 27 when he staged a coup against an ailing King Idris who was in Turkey for medical treatment. He proclaimed himself “Colonel.” Kinda like I’ve proclaimed myself “Blogger Extraordinaire.”

Now Colonel Gaddafi is 68, and hides his age with sunglasses and jet black hair…so the Libyans won’t realize how much time has passed. Only his hairdresser knows for sure.


So…like sands through the hourglass…so are the days of Gaddafi’s life.

Even though Gaddafi might not want to acknowledge it….his days are numbered. But after 41 years of clinging to power...he isn't walking into the desert without a fight.

There are ways of dealing with a stubborn, unrelenting resolve for clinging …may I suggest…dryer sheets.

They work for my socks...most every time.


PS. There are between 40 to 112 different spellings of Muammar Gaddafi’s name...Qaddafi, Kadafi, etc. My name, however, has only one correct true spelling….. “Blogger Extraordinaire.”




1 comment:

Frances said...

I love taking a break in the middle of my work day to read your blog. It always puts a smile on my face!