Monday, November 1, 2010

Tricks with Treats


Did you get many trick-or-treaters last night? We had 14...that is, if we count the kid who came by twice. I knew that little devil looked familiar.

Last year we weren't home for Halloween night which, as we all know, can be a recipe for disaster...two dozen eggs, 6 rotten tomatoes, and a roll of paper.

Luckily we didn’t end up in the eye of Newt of any rowdy ghosts, ghouls, or goblins.

Anywhooooo......

Last Halloween I missed seeing the neighborhood children come to the door in their costumes. So this year I was bound and gagged to make sure I was here. Seeing their little faces brings me back to when our kids were that age.....

I remember our kid's excitement from a night of trick-or-treating through neighborhoods...spreading their loot out on the floor when they got home....separating the candy into categories...making trades with each other...priceless.


I thoroughly encouraged them to spread their candy all over the floor...that way I could check it and make sure it was safe to eat...and make sure I got a good look at what candy I was going to steal from them while they were at school. It was as easy as taking candy from a baby.


I remember the year Wishy had a 5th grade math teacher who turned their Halloween candy into a math lesson. He had them visually display the different amounts and frequencies of their candy by putting them into bar graphs…and then making generalizations about the data. “Nerds are more popular than Air Heads.” That's one way of making math a treat.

Only problem with the math homework was…it made it tricky for me to steal treats from Wishy. With her bar graph around as “proof of evidence”…I knew it would be difficult to explain the missing data…especially in the candy bar category.