Thursday, August 26, 2010

Hands Down....It's Fun being 9


It’s wonderful to have young kids around to bring out your inner child.

Anywhoooo…………..

I was nine years old last weekend when I played a board game with my niece and 2 Sisters…Sister Sledge and Sister Sludge. (We are family…I got all my sisters with me.) Besides who could resist a challenge by Natboobear in the game of Hands Down?

The game of Hands Down is a classic…thank you Uncle Milton. No thinking power is required…it’s all in the action…the Slam-o-matic action. Act and react. Get a match, then slap the big hands in the center of the board…and beat your opponents to the slap.

The Slam-o-matic should really be called the Slap-o-matic…because a major side effect of the game is becoming slap happy...which happens to be acceptable behavior when it comes to Hands Down. Where else can you slap the crap out of something and scream in enjoyment? Okay, other than at Mel Gibson’s house.

A board game is a good way to get back to basics; with no electronics. No cell phone…no computer…no 200+ channels…just run on the power of simple, ole fashioned fun.

You learn a lot about a person…sitting around the dining room table playing a game together. You quickly learn who likes to win…at all costs, who thoroughly enjoys the art of bluffing, who's in la-la land, and who has a heavy slap happy hand. Nothing like slapping, faking, grabbing, and cheating…to bring out the competitive spirit…...

.....And to bring out my inner 9 year old.

There are many other good ole fashioned games to play ….including Booby Trap, Sorry, and Trouble. Remember that pop-o-matic bubble in the game of Trouble?…totally ingenious.

Oh, then there is Spin the Bottle….but I should wait until I’m in Middle School before I play that one.

No comments: