Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Get the Message



Is it me?

For some reason I have a hard time understanding pictograms. You know pictograms…they convey meaning through a pictorial resemblance to an object. To further illustrate...let me draw you a picture… a picture is used instead of the word.

Pictograms must have started back in the day when cavemen drew pictures on cave walls to tell a story…and dragged women behind them...by their hair. Ugga ugga. Oucha oucha.

Some pictograms are self-explanatory and easy to understand. For example, a picture of a dog with a slash through it... “No Dogs Allowed.” Or the pictogram of Kat at her computer with a slash through it... “No Kat Bloggers Allowed.” (A pictogram frequently displayed in many rooms in our house. ) I get the message.

There are some pictograms, however, that aren’t as easy to understand. Like the air vent pictograms in my car. Maybe I have a mental block...or maybe I’m just mental but I have found them confusing for three years.

I would think that an “0” symbol would mean an open air vent...and “— " would mean a closed air vent.....but NO. It is the very opposite. They fool me EVERY time. Come on car people, an “0” even looks like an open mouth during a yawn. I’m very familiar with this symbol when people read my blog.

Anywho......

I’m on a campaign to bring back words. But if “they” want to continue to use pics…go ahead…just make sure to combine them with a few words. That would help me out.

An example of a sign that clearly conveys its message is in the picture above. With that sign…I know exactly which way to go. That sign speaks directly to me.

I get the message.

No comments: