Friday, August 20, 2010

Bathing in the Sun


Sunbathing is an art.

There are professional sunbathers out there who make it look so easy. They have real skills. They are able to bathe their back and their front for that all-over even tan. You’ve seen them around the pool...tanned perfectly...like a golden roasted marshmallow.

I’m barely an amateur when it comes to the art of sunbathing. Maybe I’m using the wrong soap. My biggest problem is getting comfortable in the lounge chair.

I never have a problem, however, with bathing my front side. Bathing the front just requires sitting on my ass, which is rather easy for me…I actually do it every day when I write this blog. The real problem is laying on my stomach…to bathe my back.

I always give it the ole college try, though. I stretch out onto my stomach, but then I’m not sure what to do with my face. Should I turn it to the left... to the right…or smash it directly face down into the chair? I decide to choose a side…that way, I can breathe.

Then I have to decide what to do with my arms. Should I tuck my arms under me…both arms? One arm? But they go numb. Maybe let my arms dangle...numb again.

Ouch... my back is out of line.

I look over at the people in lounge chairs around me and they look incredibly comfortable….some folks are even sleeping as they bathe...which I might warn you: Sleeping while bathing may be hazardous to your health.

Anywhoo……..

After torturing myself with trying to bathe my back and get that toasted marshmallow tan, I give up after 5 minutes. I flip myself over…preferring to go with the sunny-side up look….similar to the runny egg I ate this morning.

I am gonna have to work a lot harder to perfect my sunbathing skills……or get PaulA to help me bathe my back.

No comments: