Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit



I hope you said "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" this morning. If you didn't...I feel very sorry for you. You’re doomed...or you’re shit out of luck unless you’ve uttered those three little bunny words.


“Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” is a superstition/saying that is said by our family...on the first day of the month for good luck for the rest of the month. And we never forget...no matter where we are. We know better than to test the rabbit. Never DARE a HARE.


To be the recipient of the very BEST kind of luck...the kind of luck where you say, “Damn, I am one lucky dog," you must say “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” when you FIRST wake up...and BEFORE you say anything else. You can’t even groan, “oh, my aching back.”


This morning, my eyes opened at 3:11 a.m. I looked at my alarm clock and said, “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit”...OUTLOUD. I’m not sure if that makes me a weirdo, or the next lottery winner.


I just googled “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” to find out where this superstition might have come from. And “Presto” – a whole Google page appeared regarding the hare. Apparently I am quasi-normal.


Google says the saying has been around since 1800 and is a common British superstition. There is something about the rabbit being lucky and having lucky feet. (I wonder which foot is considered the luckiest.) On a lop-eared note: I find it very interesting SLASH ironic that rabbits are commonly eaten in England. I guess the Brits like to eat their luck...for good measure.


So to make sure the five of us are covered in the luck department, we send out “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” text messages to each other on the first of every month..as a little hare reminder...because we care.


If you didn’t get the “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” memo for good luck...I would suggest eating a rabbit tonight for dinner....hare and all.


Happy June 1st.

2 comments:

Sistersledge said...

We never say it on time. The first thing Boo Boo said when she got off the bus this afternoon was "we forgot to say Rabbit, Rabbit, Rabbit". Does it count if you say it at 3:45 pm?

big C said...

this blog post is hilarious!!! ive gotten allll my friends saying it too :) i said it on 6/1 i better be having a darn good month