Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fool-Proof Coverage



Sunblock, as we all know, is very important. Not only for health reasons, but also to keep skin from looking 45 years older than it is.

Too bad my parents couldn’t have passed on this age defying information to me…but we didn’t know then, what we know now. I constantly tell my kids to remember to apply sunblock . If they end up looking like Great Granny or Great Grampy...before their time, it will not be on my conscious.

For protection from the sun…it’s all about the SPF. When I first started using sunblock, I used SPF 4, then SPF 8, and then moved up the sunblock ladder to SPF 15. I have noticed that it has gotten increasingly difficult to even find SPF 15 in stores anymore. SPF 30 apparently is the new SPF 15.


There are higher SPFs on the shelves…45, 50, and 75. Personally, I think SPF 75 is the equivalent of locking yourself in the closet…with the lights off …which if I could suggest, would be much cheaper.


Random question: If you apply SPF 30 and SPF 15 together…is it the equivalent of SPF 45?

I do, however, understand why someone would want to block all harmful rays and look for total, all-over, fool-proof coverage. For this person, may I suggest a funky chicken suit. You can get them on eBay for $45.55.

I hope that my own kids…(now that they aren’t under my roof, let alone under my thumb)… will remember to apply and reapply…an SPF of any number. Or if they find a little number… say in a funky chicken suit…I would have no worries.


Wait, now that I think about it…wearing the funky chicken suit…although providing total coverage….isn’t totally fool-proof.

No comments: