Saturday, February 27, 2010

I love you, Daisy



Sadly to say, my grandmother, Daisy, died last night…she would have been 95 on March 23rd. I know she lived a full and long life….and that you can’t live forever, but because Grandma lived for so long, I just expected her to keep living. Day-to-day, month-to-month, year-to-year.

I expected that every January I would go to Florida and she would be doing fine…sitting next to Ellie in their favorite chairs…watching tennis, the NBA, NFL, Dancing with the Stars…and their nightly regulars…Jeopardy and The Vanna White Show.

I expected to hear Willard Scott say “Happy Birthday” to her someday.

Sadly to say, she didn’t live up to my expectations of living another year….but as a grandmom…she lived up to every expectation. I have always been very proud of my Grandmother. She was an amazing woman with a sharp and keen mind…and a love for learning. She was someone I looked up to. We kept in touch through letters and my visits to Florida. She was always so sweet, kind, loving, and caring to me…I’m going to miss her.

Daisy was the matriarch of five generations…. 5 children, 17 grandchildren, 25 great grandchildren, 8 great great grandchildren. I wonder what it feels like to be the head of the family…at the top of the family tree from which many branches grew. I wished I had asked her.

After my visit with her this past January, I said goodbye to Grandma. I planted a big kiss directly on her lips…I can feel now.

Whenever I pull petals from a daisy...the last petal will forever be "I love you."

I love you, Daisy.

3 comments:

Jayne said...

that was beautiful Kathy, it made me cry.

diane said...

You have a very beautiful soul Kathy- much i am sure like your grandmother. What a very tender tribute to her. thinking of you
diane

Anonymous said...

Wow...gulp