Monday, December 21, 2009

Bringing Cheer and Good Tidings


Hey, it’s great when you can get a customer service person laughing…especially during the holiday season…the season of stress, strain, and strudel…sorry, that just naturally follows. And now that I think about it…apple strudel naturally follows…a holiday dinner.

Here’s my customer service scenario: I was online ordering a few gifts, each with personalized messages. I decided I should go back and make sure that I matched the right message with the right person. Heck, I don’t want to send...“Yo Yo…Have A Chill Christmas"...to Aunt Millie.

So after I clicked back to check for mistakes, the computer cleared all my billing information…which I then had to painstakingly re-enter. After I completed the 'check-out' page and hit ENTER…the screen flashed “Hey, Stupid…you forgot to put in a zip code.” As I was doing that…the screen went BLACK. Ahhh…I wasn’t sure if my order went through, or I just launched a missile strike overseas.

So I called the company’s Customer Service Department to make sure there were no mix-ups.

A Customer Service person answered: “Hi, this is Jack, your customer service person. How can I help you?”
Kat: “Hey Jack. This is Kat. I gotta problem over here.”
And then I proceeded to give him the long boring details I just gave you.
Then Jack said, “You used Internet Explorer, right? Well, it clears the cookies.”
So I said, “Hey Jack, the only cookies I know about are the ones that I put in my stomach.”

Jack couldn’t stop laughing. I guess I was killing him…with my ignorance…or maybe he was still drunk on punch and his cookies from his company holiday luncheon.

I was happy to bring Cheer and Good Tidings to Jack during this time of stress, strain, and strudel…but “Jack, when you ever stop laughing…can you help me out over here.”

No comments: