Monday, November 9, 2009

Mad Men Influence

Do you watch Mad Men? It’s a great show that airs on Sunday nights on the AMC Channel. The Season 3 finale was last night, so if interested, I would suggest you watch each season in order on DVD…it will make so much more sense. Then you will understand why Donald Draper is the lying, cheating, scum-bag of a handsome husband that he is.

The show, set in the early 60’s, is about advertising executives on Madison Avenue…thus the Mad Men. The show is “true” to the time period…with spot-on sets, events of the time, social attitudes, behavior, and attire. The Mad Men live in a man’s world…where the women they work with are secretaries they ogle, speak down to, and slap on the butt. They smoke non-stop and drink in the office…and they most definitely don’t recycle…unless you are talking girls.

What is interesting is the effect the show is having on fashion. The last time I was in NYC, I walked by Bergdorf Goodman on 5th Avenue and noticed the 50’s and 60’s clothing in all of its windows. I kept on walking…I’m already vintage…I don’t need vintage clothing to prove it.

The vintage influence is also seen for the Spring 2010 fashion line in women’s lingerie. We are talking high-waist briefs, garter belts, and full body suits with structured hard bra cups. (Men please try to bare with me with talk about our unmentionables.)

Fashion designers are always trying to reinvent the fashion wheel…so they are calling it “a totally modern, new kind of lingerie look.” I’m calling the vintage undergarments what they really are…Granny pants.

Now it appears the fashion designers want to go full circle with our mentionables…back to granny pants. I guess they got tired of thong underwear...aka floss.

We must draw a fashion line in the sand…somewhere…and JUSTSAY NO to cone bras, corsets, and granny pants. Although…I’m thinking Granny might be happier to go back to old school undergarments. I think she mostly prefers floss for her teeth.