Thursday, October 15, 2009

Pessimistically Optimistic

Would you consider yourself an optimist or pessimist? I don’t think any of us would eagerly raise our hands and admit we are pessimists. It sounds so…so pessimistic. There is one sure way, however, to figure out what side of the p/o line you fall. It’s the litmus test…The half glass test. Do you see the glass as half-full or half-empty? \~/

There are always two ways or sides of looking at something. People who see the glass as half-full are optimistic. They look for the bright, sunny-side up…positive side of things. They walk around being hopeful…like thinking the economy is going to turn around any second.

Then there are the pessimists. They walk around thinking that a piano is going to fall on their head any second…because they once saw it happen in a Tom and Jerry cartoon…not to be confused with a Ben and Jerry carton.

Colinboy is an eternal optimist. After borrowing the car with a full tank of gas…I complain about him returning it with the gas tank half-empty. Colinboy only sees the upside… "Hey mom, no worries…it’s half-full.”

I’d like to think of myself as optimistic. I’m being optimistic right now by thinking that there is a person out there reading this blog. Every now and then, however, there is an upside to seeing a glass as half-empty. Especially if the wine pourer is making his rounds with a bottle of wine “Hey Garcon, over here…my glass may look half-full to you…but believe me…It’s half empty.”

Sometimes being pessimistically optimistic can work to my advantage.

No comments: