Thursday, October 22, 2009

Alas, Technology

I love all the new technology. Although I’m not a part of the NOW generation, and more a part of the THEN generation, I’m not afraid to fiddle with it. But I’m no geek. Actually, I wish I was a geek. The word “geek” used to have negative connotations but not anymore…especially if it is followed by “squad.” But not so good if preceded by “weird.”

When I get a new device, I never read the manual that comes with it…and who does? Wait, my mom does…and that’s why she’s still unable to add ‘contacts’ into her phone. You wouldn’t want to take a page from Alice’s manual.

Anyway, I was thinking that I would have loved all the techy stuff that my kids have now, when I was a kid. How great to have grown up with a laptop, cell phone, blackberry, digital camera, iPod, videoCAM and flat screen HDTV. Writing papers, researching topics, communicating, and getting directions…is so much easier now. But alas…I have this blog… a place to post endless, mindless ramblings…instead of a shrink’s couch.

With an app for every part of our life…our lives have been enhanced. But sometimes… like other enhancements…they can get in the way. With all this technology we are expected to be more efficient, and cross things off the To-Do list quicker. But alas, THE old excuses don’t fly anymore…

“Teacher, my dog ate my paper.”
“Sorry I’m 3 hours late…I got lost.”
“Honey, I couldn’t call you…there wasn’t a phone.”

At one time those were bone fide excuses. Those days are over.
But alas, (not sure why I keep saying that?)…we have new excuses…to replace the old excuses…..

“Teacher, my computer crashed and ate my paper.”
“Sorry I’m 3 hours late…my GPS system sent me the wrong way.”
“Honey, I couldn’t call you…my phone died.”

Excuses, excuses, excuses…regardless of technology.

No comments: