Friday, October 9, 2009

Above the Clouds

I don’t like to fly…although I like going places. And because I can’t always get there from here….I’m forced to climb aboard the 400 tons of steel that somehow makes it off the ground…and face my fears. The scary feeling of leaving the ground…when everything is out of your control and the thought, “what goes up, must come down”…rests heavily on my mind.

So there I was…on my latest flight…hoping like hell that what goes up, comes right-side down in Charlotte after a couple of hours. And not down in 90 seconds with the belly up.

The best thing about flying is that it’s always beautiful at 37,000 feet, regardless of whatever nasty weather we are having on the ground. Above the clouds, the sun is always shining. Maybe that’s what heaven is like.

Everyone has their own version of what they think heaven is like and it usually has something to do with what pleases them the most. So for PaulA, its’ probably an endless string of stellar days with unlimited golf. For Colin…a gig with 10,000 adoring fans. For Chelsea…a mall with FREE fashionable clothing. For Bri…actually, just the shoe store with every shoe imaginable. And for Duncandog…a room full of meat loaf and lasagna.

My heaven is to be back on earth……plane upright, nose forward, wings intact, and wheels down.

No comments: