Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Jonathon Livingston Seagull

Yesterday I was sitting on the beach…watching the seagulls fly over the water…and getting the rest, I so needed from weeks of intellectual blogging.

The scene around me was very peaceful and serene. It was a gorgeous blue sky, August day. I closed my eyes and my mind wandered to the seagulls soaring overhead.

I began remembering back to the story of the infamous seagull… the story of Jonathon Livingston Seagull…which was once a book…then a movie...with its own soundtrack by Neil Diamond.

The film was beautifully photographed, but other than that, it was “for the birds.” And Neil Diamond’s music was sappy and sentimental. Other than his songs “Sweet Caroline” and “Cracklin’ Rosie”…I don’t have much use for the Diamond…unless it’s shiny.

I don’t disagree with the themes in the book…about blah blah...it's good to be yourself…blah blah and taking risks. I just disagree with the type of bird the author chose. Why not a kinder, gentler, sweeter bird…maybe a sandpiper? Not a seagull…“The pigeon of the sea” as PaulA likes to call them. Along with their soaring comes the swooping, pooping, squawking, and dive-bombing.

I call them the “pirates of the sky”…scavenging the beach, eating live food…crabs and small fish…and even pecking and picking up small mammals...like cats. (Thank goodness I spell my name with a “K.”)

I particular hate it when they invade my space…my personal sand chair. I’d like to put up a good de-fence…a “No Gull Zone” around my sand chair.

Right after I began munching on a well deserved snack of Tostitos Chips with a Hint of Lime…a scavenger popped up beside me sooner than I could say… “Make mine a Bud Light.” The gall of these gulls. I can only image what the damn bird would do to me if I was eating my other favorite snack…Cape Cod Chips with Sea salt.

I’ve got one thing to say: “Jonathon Livingston Seagull, be glad I don't own a sling shot."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are sky rats to this Long Island beach girl!!
I took my life in my hands eating my pb&j and fritos..
pattyo