Thursday, July 9, 2009

P...as in PaulA

With numbers 0 through 9…there are a finite number of combinations that can be put together for confirmation numbers or order numbers. So the 26 letters of the alphabet are often used to increase the different numbers of combinations. (Oh, that sounds exciting Kat…what else ya got?)

Sometimes some of the letters sound similar to each other when they are read out loud…especially over the phone…especially over my cell phone with Verizon service. So when a person at a customer call center reads them back..they will relate the letter with a name to eliminate any confusion…so you get them right. That way “P” doesn’t get mixed up with “T”…and “V” doesn’t get confused with “B”. (OMG Kat, still very boring…what else ya got?)

Okay, Here’s the good part.

Recently I called an airline to request my forgotten confirmation number and was connected with a woman in India. Actually she didn’t tell me she was from India…but I figured it out cuz I have a good ear for accents…and I think they have all the airline customer service jobs locked up. Anyway, while on the phone, I wanted to ask her my burning question: “What do you think of the movie ‘Slumdog Millionaire’?” But I figured she was probably too busy to discuss the movie. And I figured she probably would think I was an ass. So I made the decision to not look like an ass.

After she carefully read my confirmation number to me over the phone: PR5WVO3..she clarified the letters:

P…as in Pierre.
R…as in Romeo.
5.
W…as in Whisky.
V…as in Victor.
O…as in Oscar.
3.

Pierre? Romeo? OMG who uses those names? I found it amusing that the different names she used to clarify the letters actually confused me. I had to ask her to repeat the names so I could understand what she was saying. I must say her choice of whiskey confused me, but it’s a good choice… straight…on ice.

If I worked in a call center in India or Scranton…I would make it simple for people:

P…as in PaulA.
R…as in Rum.
W…as in Wine.
V…as in Vodka.
O…as in Ouzo.

I wonder how long I would be employed?
(Hey, that’s all I got.)

2 comments:

Sistersledge said...

You had me at "whisky".

big C said...

haha this is great and i think its so funny you wanted to ask her what she thought of slumdog millionaire!