Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Birthday America

“Happy Birthday dear America…Happy Birthday to you.” Singing Happy Birthday to our country might seem a little corny…but definitely All-American.

I am darn proud to be an American…patriotism runs in my blood. I am the daughter of a U. S. Air Force Serviceman…retired after 20 years. As a military family we traveled the country and the world…moving every two years. You would think the constant acclimation would have been hard, but everyone else in the military community was doing the same thing.

The big question while living on an Air Force Base was always, “How long are you here for?”….kinda like doing time…hard time. The only hard time I remember was when we were separated from my dad. Remember the first line from the Marine’s Hymn... “From the halls of Montezuma to the shores of Tripoli?” We lived there…the shores of Tripoli. Yep…We did time in Tripoli for two years.

I am proud to be from America…the Land of the Free, the Home of the Brave. Nothing makes me prouder than when I see a U.S. serviceman or servicewoman. I tear up at the very thought of young people willing to protect our freedom. Colinboy has a buddy who finished his Marines basic training and is heading off to Afghanistan to be a gunner on a tank. And our good friend, Joanie, has a son heading out in November. Godspeed to our young friends. I thank all the men and women who have volunteered to protect our freedom. Excuse me while I turn into Niagara Falls.

Growing up as a child on a military base, hearing the planes overhead every day, felt like my blanket…security. To this day, I get that same sense of comfort when I hear the roar from a plane’s engine.

I have mentioned before that I have dog tags…official tags given to us by the U.S Air Force. We wore them as kids when traveling. My dog tags are one of my most prized possessions. My kids were shocked and proud when they first saw them…shocked to see that their mom had Rappa tags…and proud that Rapppa katBreezy might be tight with Fifty Cent.

This is a beautiful country and we are so fortunate to live in this Land of Liberty. Now I’m going to step down from my soap box….and indulge in a little apple pie.

Happy Birthday, America.

No comments: