Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Ending First

Do you read the ending of a book first? I know…it sounds crazy…at least it sounds crazy to normal people like myself. I have a couple of friends, who will remain nameless….actually model this strange behavior. I would never be the one to put them in the spotlight and ridicule them…I would never do that.

For the life of me…I can’t figure out why someone would jump to the end of the book and read the ending. Maybe they do it because they don’t plan on reading the entire book. They don’t have time to read it or they are uninterested. But then again…why bother even reading the ending? Why would you care to learn that Mr. Fink went to jail for the rest of his life…if you didn't know why he was a fink…or what fink stuff landed him there.

Then again…maybe they do plan on reading the entire book….but jump to the ending because they don’t like surprises. They dislike ALL surprises…especially the kind of surprise where 50 people are standing in their home…yelling “surprise” when they’ve just walked through the door after getting caught in a rainstorm with no umbrella..and a bad encounter with a novice eyebrow waxer.

Whatever the reason…I still don’t get it. Another person, who will also remain faceless, told me that she was reading one of my blogs and jumped to the last sentence. What! Excuuuussse meeeeeee….Was I boring you that much…that you stopped reading and skipped to the end?

Wait…I think I’m onto something here. Maybe a good last sentence is what makes a person decide that something is worth reading. If the sentence makes an impact or impression on them…they go back to the beginning and read the entire book…or the entire blog.

Maybe from now on I should work on a catchy last sentence…something that would grab the reader’s attention …to read the entire blog. Let’s see if that works………..

Sistersledge is a huge horse’s patoot if she thinks she can get away with skipping ahead in my blog and reading the ending first.

1 comment:

sistersludge said...

you know, I'm not surprised it was sistersledge!