Friday, June 26, 2009

Dinosaurus

Remember taking vocabulary tests in school? Memorizing the definition for the test…and then never using it again in a sentence…let alone in a lifetime? And choosing the answer “B” on the SAT test…just because.

Do you envisage yourself as possessing a sterling vocabulary? I would not say I have a prodigious vocab…but it gets me through the day…and this blog. I’m sure my vocabulary could stand to be augmented, but I think I get my point across. My urban vocab, however……is da bomb diggity fo sho.

There are some of us who have extensive vocabularies…and that would include my friend BillyA. I wonder if that’s because he’s a master at crossword puzzles. The sensei of the puzzle. Hysterically BillyA, (I mean, historically BillyA) has done many crossword puzzles. His vocabulary may have been honed through years of working on crossword puzzles. I’m not sure if you achieve a better vocabulary after working on puzzles….or you work on them because you have a good vocabulary. Which comes first…the chicken or the egg? The headache or the hangover. The crossword puzzle…or the vocabulary?

In my case, I’ m not too proud to say the Thesaurus is a handy tool…a reference book that assists me in replacing elementary words with SAT words. I find the name “Thesaurus”, however, to be an enigma. The Thesaurus sounds like it should be a book about dinosaurs…instead of a synonym reference book. Tyrannosaurus, Stegosaurus, and the Thesaurus.

In case you’re wondering about a few of the colossal words I’ve employed in this blog…I may have referenced the book of dinosaurs. I like utilizing the online Thesaurus…the more recent of the dinosaurs. The Thesaurus helps me sound like I have command of the English language. Without Dino…this blog would read:

My friend BillyA has a good vocab. BillyA is also good at crossword puzzles. When I use the Thesaurus I sound intelligent. The Thesaurus has a name like a dinosaur.

Or

My peep, BillyA, is da masta when it comes to da word. BillyA is da bomb diggity wit da crossword puzzles…fo sho. I’m a poser when I use a thesaurus. Da thesaurus sounds like a dinosaurus.

BIG WORDS…little words…urban words…either way…you get the point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad I checked in today. I feel famous ( Latin famosus, fama )...

BA