Thursday, May 21, 2009

Girl Power

Rachel Alexandra won the Preakness last Saturday on the strength of her girl power. All 1000+ pounds of her. Whoops…no lady likes her weight disclosed. Sorry about that Rach.

I say…never underestimate a woman with four legs. “Girls rule, boys drool.” That’s a little ditty 6 year-old girls say. But in the case of The Preakness 2009…I can’t help but add my own version: Fillies rule, colts are mules. Na na na na na.

The race at the Preakness last Saturday had all the emotion of an After-School Special. Which by the way, is always a tear jerker for me. Any After-School Special (no matter the subject) will have me sitting in a pool of blubber. I mean, blubbering pool.

But an Afterschool Special about horse racing…could only be a double whammy. Remember the movie Seabiscuit? That movie reduced me to blubber because I think horses are beautiful , especially when they are shown running in slow motion. S l o w m o t I o n. . . . seconds my emotion.

I’m hoping the horses like to race as much as they look like they do. Or are they in it for the sugar cubes? I'm guessing it probably is innate because of their breeding. Just like how Duncandog being the Portuguese Water Dog that he is, instinctively picks up his toy and delivers it back and forth, each time he goes through the door.

And when the clock strikes 9 p.m….I instinctively get off the couch and run (in slow motion) toward the kitchen. Ass over tea kettle, as I make my way to the freezer. My arms flailing and reaching out to open the door. The look of extreme bliss as the freezer light shines on my face while I search for my secret stash behind the frozen green beans. Then a series of tears…down my cheeks as I realize …someone beat me to my tub of Chubby Hubby. All the makings of an Afterschool Special.

If a movie isn’t made about this year’s Preakness …I’ll be a horse’s patoot. It was a feel good story which could have only been made better…if the jockey riding the filly…was a woman.

Girls AND Fillies Rule.

No comments: