Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Getting Lucky in Kentucky

The great thing about betting on a horse race is…anyone can pick a winner. You don’t have to be a horse expert, horse trainer, or even have horsey features. It’s all about the luck of the draw…and getting lucky in Kentucky.

We were at a great Kentucky Derby party this past weekend and the lucky person who picked the horse to win had already left the party. What are the odds of that happening? 50 to 1. Maybe the person had too many mint juleps and had to race out before being put down. The odds that I would have picked the winning horse was a sure long shot.

Some people pick a horse by its odds of winning…but most people pick a horse by it’s name. Which makes the most sense to me. How many women picked Chocolate Candy to win? Probably more women than men. How many men picked Musket Man to win? Probably more men than women…PaulA did. The horse I picked to win the Kentucky Derby (Hold Me Back) was actually a dog. Never ever ask me to help you with your pick unless you are betting the greyhounds.

Some pick a horse by the number the horse wears for the race…or by the jockey…or by the jock size. Or there are people with good aim…who throw a dart at the list of contenders. Although I’m not very good at picking horses…One thing I know how to pick…is a husband.

Granted, picking a horse and picking a husband shouldn’t be mentioned in the same sentence. And is that fair to compare PaulA with a horse? Neigh…I say. I didn’t pick PaulA by his name…or by his size. It was just a feeling. That’s what picking a horse is…you just get a feeling…you know instinctively or randomly…THAT’S the won for you.

Lady Luck was on my side when I picked PaulA. Actually that was the last time I was a winner…and I won by a couple of lengths. I’m not saying PaulA is a horse, but I have to say, I’ve been a horse’s ass a time or two.

No comments: