Monday, April 27, 2009

Klutzy Kat

There was a reason I was not given the name Grace. It would have been a misnamer. When I was a freshman in college, our dorm floor gave out awards at the end of the school year. The awards were paper plates…with a simple description for each girl. Mine said “Klutz.” Klutzy Kat…simple and to the point.

When ‘they” gave me the award, they said I had the unique talent of tripping up the stairs. They were right…I did that a couple of times a day. But come on, it takes a special talent to trip UP the stairs. If I tripped going down…I would have gotten the ‘Most Broken Bones Award.’ That would have been an easier award to win. No real talent there.

So I’ve thought about it and admit…I can be clumsy. It mostly happens when I try not to be. Isn’t that the way? If the pressure is on…like I’m know I’m being watched…that’s when I trip over an invisible obstacle directly in front of my mother-in-law…just miss spilling my plate of food…as I catch my balance. Whoaaaaaaaa. Whenever PaulA sees me working with a knife…he always stops me. He has saved me from me…cutless times.

I think I would rather be called Butterfingers…than Klutz. It has a sweeter ring. Usually I know it’s gonna be a Butterfingers day…when I first wake up. When I’ve dropped the toothpaste 3 times, tripped over my shoes…and can’t fight the urge to stop at CVS for the candy bar…it’s a dead give away.

Luckily my clumsiness has never hurt anyone. My kids were never dropped…although there was that time I fell holding Colinboy as an infant. But that wasn’t my fault, we were looking at homes and the front walk was covered with ice. As I went down, I held my Colinboy ever so tightly…he never even bounced off the bricks. I took one for the team.

Oh, and I did spill blood on me every now and then when I worked in the blood bank lab. Mostly on my shoes. Nothing like going home to PaulA with a little blood on my shoes to set the mood.

As I’ve gotten older, I think I am less clumsy. Not that Grace has moved in and taken over Klutzy Kat. But I eat more Butterfingers these days than act like one …………although I do enjoy a good SNICKERS once in a while.

2 comments:

Sistersledge said...

Maybe you would enjoy a good MARS bar!

big C said...

Haha, I am your clone, I deserve the "Clutzy Chelsea" award!!!!