Monday, April 6, 2009

Fit for a Queen

The President and Michelle Obama recently made their first trip to England to visit the Queen Mum. It is customary to bring a gift worthy to bestow on her highness...when you go abroad to visit the broad. I mean, her majesty. And as I’m sure you’ve heard by now, Obama gave the Queen Mum an iPod. iLaugh at that. But iKnow the Apple people are smiling.

An iPod is an interesting gift to give a Queen…let alone a woman who is how old? 150? Okay…82. I know one thing, my parents are only in their 70’s…and they can barely figure out their cell phone…let alone an iPod. Sometimes when I call their cell…they answer…but don’t realize they have answered, so I hear them talking to each other in the background. "Jerr…push the button.” “I think I did, Ally.”

I guess Obama was having trouble coming up with the perfect hostess gift. I know it can be tricky coming up with a clever gift. Plus she already has a palace and extra plush towels…what else could he possibly give that would be fit for a queen. I know when I go to someone’s house…I’m thinking…should I bring the customary bottle of wine (Oh, what a nice surprise!) or something less obvious? iThink the iPod as a gift for the Queen was the equivalent of giving the royal couple…his and her matching thongs.

So the question is: Will she use it? Or will it end up in the royal rubbish? A Poll on AOL said that 80 percent of the people think she won’t use it. I am a part of that 80%...(Do you do those polls online??) Frankly, I don’t see it happening. I just find it hard picturing the Queen with ear buds.

Granted, Obama gave the Queen an iPod that was preloaded, so she won’t have to figure that out. But he also loaded television footage of himself. Who wants to watch old footage that can be seen on CNN...bring on U2. It is interesting his gift was also about him. But then again, the Queen gave the Obama’s an autographed picture of herself. That’s it…my next hostess gift will be an autographed printed copy of one of blogs.

I suppose I could have this iPod thing all wrong…I might not know what goes on behind Palace doors. Maybe Queen Elizabeth is more tech savvy then I give her credit for and will use the iPod.

Maybe when no one’s looking…she’s hiding in one of the drawing rooms in Buckingham Palace … surfing the net…and going on Facebook under an alias: Queeney. I’m gonna keep my eyes out for her…so I can friend her, poke her, and write on her wall: Kat was here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought that was an even worse gift than the pig my sister gave my mother for Christmas one year -- and I'm not kidding!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...the pig was not in the form of a ham or roast...it was alive and kicking -- literally!