Friday, April 10, 2009

Bad Case of TMI

“Be careful with your cell phone because I am not buying insurance for it.” That’s the warning I give my kids when they get a new cell phone. So what did I do with mine? I pulled a Chelsea…which is affectionately known as ruining anything electronic. Between laptops, cell phones, cameras, and iPods ….we have a sizable investment in Best Buy.

My phone catastrophe occurred when I was performing the glamorous job of cleaning the throne. I bent over…just far enough for it to come sliding out of my slippery puffy vest. I sound attractive don’t I! I don’t usually don’t put that much elbow into the scrubbing of toilets (or any elbow), but my parents were coming for a night and I wanted the throne to sparkle. After all they are the Queen Mum and King Jerry.

The phone fell so quickly there was no catching it in mid-air before it landed in the bottom of the toilet. It couldn’t have been there 2 seconds before I pulled it back out. (I don’t usually go around sticking my hand in toilet water…although I have put toilet water behind my ears.) But sure enough, my crappy phone didn’t survive the toilet dive.

As soon as I realized I was without my cell, I felt like I had been stranded in some remote part of the world …air lifted and just dropped. No contact with humans. How could I be reached? What if Big C tried to call me? (I wonder if my recorded voice message now sounded warbled?)

So I took a trip to Verizon Wireless and told the phone expert that my phone was no longer working because I dropped it in some water. Well hello…I surely wasn’t going to tell the guy exactly where it had been. That would have been TMI. Sometimes TMI is just not a good thing. He might not have looked into my problem…let alone touch my phone.

After examining it, he said something about “it got wet…you have no insurance.” No shit Sherlock (No pun intended). And something about “pay full-price.” After which, I gave him the song and dance – Beyonce Style (just kidding…don’t worry folks) and told him to look up what an amazing customer I was…especially with the 3 leeches that are on my monthly account. So he cut me a break. It’s amazing what paying your bills and 3 lovable leeches on your account will do for you!

It’s a good thing he cooperated…and didn’t charge me full price. Otherwise I would have acted really juvenile and said, ”Dude…you know that phone you just had up to your face…it’s been in my toilet.”

1 comment:

big said...

Haha! Aww Mom I didn't know you had to get a new phone... Now you know what a day in the life of Chelsea is like.... Love you!