Monday, October 6, 2008

Theme Song

Do you know the old Television show theme songs? You might be too young for some…but there is always TV Land where you can get up to speed on all the classics. I’ve always loved the song for Green Acres. It was a great show with a great theme song. People still sing it…I heard someone singing it just yesterday. “Green Acres is the place to be…Farm living is the life for me.” Okay, actually that was me…but I’m sure other highly intelligent people sing it too.

Some of those old shows had the best theme songs. Don’t cha think? Gilligan’s Island, “Sit right down and I’ll tell a tale.” My favorite part was “a three hour tour.” The Brady Bunch, “Here’s a story about man named Brady.” The list is endless… All in the Family, with their off-key singing…Addams Family, The Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore, Laverne and Shirley, Cheers, Loveboat. These songs had the best lyrics that told what the show was about.

That is what is missing from today’s shows…theme songs that describe the show. So I got to thinking…maybe I could write a theme song. Maybe I could write one for the show 24… which I hear is premiering soon. You know the show I’m talking about. The one staring superman Jack Bauer who works for CTU (Counter Terrorist Unit)...who whispers instead of talks, and runs around, saving L.A. from nuclear attacks by bad guys on a weekly basis. I just love a reality show.

The theme song they use for 24 is an instrumental…it doesn’t tell you anything. So, here’s my attempt at an improvement. This is to be sung to the tune from Green Acres:

Jack Bauer is the man to be
Dangerous living is the life for he
Jack spreadin’ out so far and wide
Man of-the-hour is always on our side.

L.A. is where he’d rather stay
He gets allergic smelling the Bay
We just adore a Jack Bauer view
Dah-ling we love you but give us Phil Donahue

Okay…I still have to fix that last line…it just rhymed so nicely that I couldn’t help myself. Plus you young folks probably never heard of Phil Donahue. (For the record…he was the first Oprah.)
Here’s another attempt. Same first verse…but new ending:

Jack Bauer is the man to be
Dangerous living is the life for he
Jack spreadin’ out so far and wide
Man of-the-hour is always on our side.

L.A. is where he’d rather stay
He gets allergic smelling the Bay
We just adore the Jack Bauer crew
Dah-ling we love you and your friends at CTU.

Is that any better!!!???

No comments: