Friday, September 12, 2008

My Complete Favorite

As far as movies go….my favorites are the oldies….especially the ones I watched as a kid. The Wizard of Oz with those flying monkeys and Munchkinland was genius. My all time favorite is “The Sound of Music” and the sound of the music. Okay, I’m redundant. These movies were extra special because they were run on TV once a year. Not like today, when parents can pop in a movie anytime, to get a little peace and quiet.

When our kids were little, I bought Disney videos….like every parent in America. Heck, if I didn’t, I would have been accused of child neglect. So we ended up with quite an extensive library… Little Mermaid, Snow White, Aladdin, Toy Story, Beauty and the Beast… on and on. I used them like every parent in America…to get a little peace and quiet.

In all my 100 years of living, there has been only one movie I have purchased for myself. And that is Jerry Maguire. I never cared much for Tom Cruise before…but I loved him in this movie. But now he’s off my list, especially after his ape routine on Oprah’s couch. Sorry Tommy.

For some reason Jerry Maguire just hit me….hard…and in a good way. I am a sucker for the love and devotion theme. I loved it when Renee Zellweger’s Dorothy stood by her man, no matter the cost and the sweet, lovable relationship Cuba “Show-Me-the-Money” Gooding’s character had with his wife.

Granted, there is some very corny stuff in that film. Especially the line “You had me at Hello.” Well, “Hello”….that is so corny. If PaulA said to me… “Kat, you had me at hello.”…I would laugh my ass off. But if PaulA said to me, “Kat, you…complete me.”

….I would melt like butta. Okay, I'm also a sucker for the corny stuff.

No comments: