Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sink or Swim

Are you watching the Olympics? Michael Phelps is amazing…a reason to watch. Some people were born to do great things. I can only imagine what it would be like to be a gold medal Olympian and set world records.

You see…I am not the best swimmer in the world. I can tread water…dog paddle …and manage an atypical breaststroke. Hey, these simple strokes keep me afloat. If I fell off a boat I could survive…for a while. But just don’t leave me out there for too long to prove something.

There is a huge rock on our beach we call Flat Rock that is totally underwater at high tide. A definite destination. PaulA got this knucklehead idea that I should swim out to it. I haven’t swam out there in a long time. Heck, I know the rock is there…just like I know the moon is out there…but do I need to go? I think not.

After much coaxing from PaulA….like telling me the water was warm (for a change), and there were only a few people on the beach (he knows I can make a scene) …and that he would swim beside me (if I suddenly went south.) In typical PaulA fashion…he wasn’t taking “no” for an answer. I reluctantly agreed.

So I waded in…up to my ankles, knees, waist…bazoombs (hehe), and then I couldn’t touch. I guess I had to sink or swim. I first started with the breaststroke…I had to show the people on the beach my best stuff. Then a rest…rest….treading water. Then a beg…beg…for PaulA to carry me on his back. Then a good ole doggie paddle. Eventually I made it. I stood proudly on Flat Rock, like I was the first person to land on the moon.

I was feeling pretty good about my accomplishment…until I remembered how exhausted I was…and that I still had to swim back. But wait…How long to low tide? I could walk off this rock in about 5 hours.

Michael Phelps….I am not.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very happy to uncover this site. I wanted to thank you for your time just for this wonderful read!! I definitely liked every bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new things in your site.

Feel free to surf to my web page gardening tips

Anonymous said...

Youг mеаns of telling thе whole thіng in thiѕ pieсe of writing іs аctuallу pleasant, every one саn effοrtlеssly undeгstand it, Thanks a lot.


Alѕo visit my blog рost ... losing weight after 50

Anonymous said...

Thіs web site rеally haѕ all of the informatiοn I neеdeԁ abοut this ѕubject and dіdn’t know who to ask.


My wеb pаge ... losing weight after 50