Friday, August 22, 2008

Dilemma Time

PaulA is in Napa Valley…sipping wine, playing golf…okay, it is a business trip. Chelsea and Bri want to go home for a couple of nights and Colinboy wants to stay here at the beach and have his 2 friends from home come visit …which left me with a dilemma…

Which one should I choose? Go home with the girls or guard the beach house from three 20-year old college kids. Hmmm. Guess which one I chose. After one night with the boys…I’ve seen it all. I’ve seen how mature they’ve become…very respectful, very gracious, very helpful…regular human beings.

I remember when Colin and his friends were little boys…back before they were human beings. I would be driving SLASH chauffeuring them somewhere and they would be in the backseat….giggling. If I didn’t know better they could have been 10-year old girls. Who knows what they were laughing about…Was I having a bad hair day?

So now I am listening to them from the other room. They are still laughing, at who knows what, but their tones are deeper. Their interaction with each other is merciless. They take no prisoners. Everything is a competition…one badger follows another….but maybe they are preparing each other for the real world. Regardless, you can see and feel the comararderie.

I realize now that I could have gone home with the girls for a couple of days. Our house would have still been standing when I got back.

But I have enjoyed seeing what human beings they have become.

No comments: