Monday, July 21, 2008

Spell Check

I consider myself to be a good speller. Go ahead, quiz me. Take “Cincinnati" for example...Some of you want to spell it “Sinsinati.”

With technology today, you don’t really have to be a good speller. I remember quizzing the kids with their spelling lists. I used to think Colinboy’s spelling skills were gonna bite him in the butt …but nope, wrong again. Between spell check, google, and dictionary.com. He is set for life. Col will never have to hunt down a dictionary and leaf through the pages to look up a word.

I actually remember being taught how to use the ole Webster Dictionary…back in the Middle Ages. Now it is just another dusty book on the shelf. I would like to know, how does the computer know what the heck I am trying to spell when sometimes I’m not even sure. It freaks me out. It is like there is some little person inside saying, nope, “ ie before e, Kat!!!”

Google is awesome. Sometimes when I misspell something (Did I mention I was a good speller?)because I’m typing too fast and haphazardly…Mr. Google says, “Did you mean….” Then I hit myself in the forehead and say to myself… "duh…right!” I just googled “Sinsinati” and it said, “Did you mean: “Cincinnati." See what I’m talking about!

Technology has saved the bad spellers. Now there is no distinction between the good spellers of the world…the ones who learned their spelling lists and spelling rules…and the god awful spellers of the world…the ones who bluffed their way.

I see you god awful spellers of the world out there hiding behind your spell checkers and googlers…Noah Webster would not be proud.

No comments: