Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Southwest Airlines Sends Their Best

Does anyone appreciate receiving a birthday card from a business? I can MAYBE understand receiving a card from my local life insurance agent…the guy keeping tabs on my life/death status. I noticed that this year PaulA’s life insurance agent…cared to send him the very best.

For the life of me…I just do not understand why Southwest sends out birthday cards. I understand that they might want to make a connection with people and hopefully gain their business, but this just seems like an odd way to go. It feels like such a personal gesture…when I didn’t even know we were friends.

Does Southwest think that we display their cards on our mantle pieces…right next to the birthday cards from Grandma and Aunt Millie? They are so lucky if we even open them before throwing them in the trash.

If I worked for Southwest…I would tell them to save the bucks they spend on postage and cards, and reduce the airfare…give the people what they really want. But then again, I would be very unpopular with those who work in the Sending Out Birthday Cards To Random People Department…they would not be happy with me.

Let’s think for a moment about what Southwest could really do for us if they really cared to send their best. Maybe they could give us a decent meal and not peanuts, pretzels and snack mix. And seeing it is our birthday…a little birthday cake would be nice. Or how about give us a coupon for a reserved seat, so the next time we fly, we don’t have to stand in group A, B, or C. For one day of the year, Southwest would not make us feel like cattle being herded onto their plane. Moooooooo...

I hope, when my birthday rolls around this OCTOBER 13th (just a little reminder), Southwest Airlines leaves me off their birthday list. Unless…someone from Southwest’s Sending Out Birthday Cards to Random People Department actually reads my blog...and I find free stuff in the card before I throw it out.

I might even display their card….right next to Grandma’s.

No comments: