Thursday, July 3, 2008

Fourth of July

Happy Birthday to our country. I would sing Happy Birthday to America, but that would seem a little corny…but definitely All-American. I am damn proud to be an American.

I am the daughter of a retired U. S. Air Force Serviceman…retired after 20 years. As a military family we traveled the country and the world…moved every two years. You would think the constant acclimation would be hard, but everyone else in the military community was doing the same thing. So the big question while living on Air Force Bases was always, “How long are you here for?”….kinda like you were doing time…hard time. The only hard time I remember was when we were separated from my dad. Remember the first line from the Marine’s Hymn?... “From the halls of Montezuma to shores of Tripoli”….we lived there…the shores of Tripoli. We did time in Tripoli for two years.

I am proud to be from America…the Land of the Free, the Home of the Brave. Nothing makes me prouder than when I see a U.S. service man or woman in their uniform…young people willing to protect our freedom. I tear up at the very thought of it. Colinboy has a buddy who finished his basic training in the Marines and is heading off to Afghanistan soon. He is going to be a gunner on a tank…I think I’m going to turn into Niagara Falls now. Growing up as a child on a military base, hearing the planes overhead everyday, was like my blanket…sign of security. I thank the men and women who have volunteered to protect our freedom.

I am proud to be an American…I know I have mentioned before that I have dog tags…official ones given to me by the U.S Air Force. We wore them as kids when traveling. Those dog tags are one of my most prized possessions. My own kids were shocked…and proud when they first saw them…shocked to see that their mom had Rappa tags…and proud that ...Rapppa katBreezy might be tight with Fifty Cent.

This is a beautiful country and we are very fortunate to live in this Land of Liberty. Now…after stepping down from my soap box….I am gonna indulge in a little apple pie.

Happy Birthday, America.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog...really leaves me speechless.