Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Inconveniently Running On Empty

When I am running low on gas, the idea of stopping and dropping 60 plus dollars in my gas tank is not appealing. But I am smart enough to know, I can’t avoid the red warning light for too long before leg power is my next mode of transportation. PaulA has a knack for running out of gas…that’s his story. This is my story. I have run out of gas only once. Leave it to me to run out during a bank robbery. (No joke.)

I was driving a car rental because my trusty minivan was in the shop. Colinboy, age 5, and I were headed to his ski lesson at a nearby mountain. On the way, I inconveniently ran out of gas. But conveniently a cop appeared out of nowhere and helped me. He actually took us to the gas station and back to the car. He wanted to keep us moving...a man had just robbed the bank and had taken off on foot. Colin thought it was "the coolest" to see his gun rack stretched across the back of his cop car.

We were a little late, but Colinboy joined the class at the bunny hill for his ski lesson. I watched with the other moms from the warm lodge, of course. I told the other moms my story about inconveniently running out of gas, the cop and the bank robber. They laughed and probably thought I was a weirdo.

As we watched the lesson we noticed something odd. Why does the ski instructor have our kids hunkered down in the snow…looking like they are trying to hide? We then saw… a man running through the bunny hill with 3 cops chasing after him. The cops caught up with him…threw him to the ground and hand-cuffed him.

It seems that I was not the only one who ran out of gas. The bank robber was also inconveniently running on empty........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i don't know if i have ever heard that story before! that is crazy!