Thursday, June 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Brianna!

Brianna is 17 years old today. June is a great month for a birthday and I will always remember the gorgeous day we brought our beautiful Baby Brianna home…to complete our family. I remember staring at her with amazement as she slept in her cradle…the face of a cherub with a peaches and cream complexion.

Wishy gets her nickname from the songs I used to sing to her before bed. I would always end with “A Dream is a Wish” from Cinderella and then whisper, “good night Sweet Wishy.” But I think she most preferred, “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.”

Growing up Brianna has always looked forward to her birthday. She would start talking about it…at least 6 months early…even at the age of 4. It would be January, with the snow falling and Brianna would be asking, “Mom, what kind of birfday should I have?” “How many friends can I have at my birfday?”

Bri, at every age, has always been the ultimate party girl. She would be right in the middle of things with red cheeks, a big smile and a big belly laugh…one that came from her toes. My friend, Tracy, told me back when Bri was 5 that she could picture Brianna in college at a keg party. Woah…that was looking at least 13 years into the future. (I hope!) I wasn’t sure where Bri’s excitement came from…the festivities, the friends, or the sweet treats. At least it wasn’t the keg…not yet.

You name a theme party…we’ve been there and done it. As long as she was asking for it, I was dishing it out. I would start planning…with pads of paper, ideas, cookbooks, décor, surprises, prizes, invitations, supplies, spreadsheets…you name it. I would pull out all the stops for my party girl. Doggie pound, bouncey house, Who dunnit detective party complete with dead dad in the Jacuzzi, Punk’d, camping, swimming, circus…for starters. One year I gave her a very elaborate Survivor party…….and she was eliminated...by me…Jeff Prost. What kind of mom am I…that I didn’t cheat…I mean, fix it to make her win??? Last year on her 16th we took Bri and 7 friends into NYC for the mystery Accomplice tour…shopping and dinner.

So now that Bri is turning 17…I might be off the hook with theme parties. But if she asks me, “Mom, what kind of birfday should I have?”…..I am all over it!!

Happy Birthday Sweet Wish…you complete us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy 17th Birthday Brianna! We love you and think you're the greatest niece/cousin that any relatives could "wish" for! We hope you have an awesome birthday! Love, The Straws

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Bri
I'm still only one day older than you?

Anonymous said...

aw that was a nice thing you wrong Kat dog!! that is so funny that Tracy said she could see Bri at a keg party...when she was 5 years old! haha! too funny