Friday, June 13, 2008

Facebook

Email = snail mail. That may be hard to believe, but in the kid’s eyes…you might as well be licking a stamp and depositing your letter in the blue metal mailbox. Let’s face it …kids have moved on. Email is so yesterday…so old school…so classic. It’s like taking a slow boat to China. They have stuff way cooler…Instant Messaging, Text Messaging and the mother of all…Facebook.

Their world revolves around Facebook. Facebook...a virtual meeting place…the world according to young people. This is where they post a picture and profile of themselves. I don’t think it asks for height and weight, but it asks for your status…we’re talking romantic availability. Cuts right to the chase. Facebookers also love to put lots of pictures of themselves out there…family photos, friend photos, dog photos, and party photos…and sometimes incriminating photos…friends at a family party getting sick as a dog photos.

On Facebook, you can collect friends like you can prizes in a cereal box. But where are they when you need them? You have 256 friends…but they are all online…you don’t see them, talk to them, but hey they’re your buds.

Friendships, dateships, and loveships have been made, broken, and obliterated on Facebook. And when the break up occurs…updates from Facebook are automatically generated. "Attention Johnny and Judy have broken up"…23 minutes ago. Where ya been?

A fun thing on Facebook…is that you can poke someone. It’s a way of getting someone’s attention...without out pulling hair or dipping a ponytail in the ink well. Back in the day, when I was in 5th grade, there was a boy named Craig H. who got my attention. He would follow me…harass me…push me. What did I ever do to him? So my mother met with my teacher…and the teacher told her that this stalker/bully liked me. Wow…what would he do if he loved me? I would be in real danger. He got my attention… a little Facebook poke would have been gentler.

If kids are gonna throw a party…just shout it out on Facebook. Who needs an old school handwritten invitation. Before you know it, there are 150 kids at your house and the cops aren’t far behind…..

I used to think I was “with it”…down with the new technology with blogging and emailing….but now I find that I am actually on that slow boat to China.

No comments: