Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Taxed-Off

PaulA asked me why I didn’t post a blog about tax day yesterday… April 15th. I actually forgot it was tax day. I guess you can see who the bread winner is in our family…and who lives in La-La land.

I am not totally ignorant about taxes. I do understand them…I am not that far out there. I know…that you work hard, everyday, through sickness and snow, sometimes without lunch, to earn a paycheck. I know…you do this over and over for at least 40 or so years until hopefully you can retire. I know…the government takes most of what you earn and has plans to take more. I know…PaulA groans loudly when he looks at his total taxes paid.

I do see the tax forms every year and I sign my name on the dotted line. PaulA has me read them before I sign. I get out my readers, and I take a close look… making sure that the accountant has done his job correctly…looking for mistakes in subtraction. Most tax accountants love it when I check their work.

I remember back in the day when I had a responsible job that paid a salary. It taxed-me-off that Uncle Sam could actually take my money. The job I have now (blogger extraordinaire) is non-paying…but if Uncle Sam could figure out a way to take taxes out of a non-paying job…I am sure he would.

Uncle Sam is disguised as a nice guy who wants to see everybody gainfully employed…but he’s really the grim reaper. He even comes up with new things to tax every year. OMG, there might be a tax on blogging that we haven’t heard about and the IRS will be looking for me.

The Tax Man Taketh Your Money…the Tax Man Looketh to Taketh More next year.

No comments: