Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Just...Rubbish!

There is no accent cooler than an English accent. The reason that green gecko on the GEICO commercials works is because his accent makes him charming and gives him credibility. The American accent doesn’t stand a chance next to the English accent. When an American says, “pass the ketchup”, it sounds so pedestrian… but when a Brit says the same thing …Presto, the ketchup is now a fine reserve condiment. The person is seen as intelligent, and charismatic …just like our green gecko friend.

For some people, accents are easy to pick up. (Just listen to Madonna who is from Michigan.) I have to watch myself around my English friend. I don’t want it to seem like I am mocking her…I actually love her accent. But if I am not careful, within 45 minutes I am sounding like the late Margaret Thatcher.

Some English people never loose their accent…even after living here for 25 years. Maybe they play a tape over and over while they are sleeping : “I am feeling peckish. That food looks scrummy. I watch the telly whilst lying on the settee.”

It is funny how the English and Americans speak the same language, but use different English words for the same thing… holiday is a vacation, lift is an elevator, vest is an undershirt. And my favorite…Hooters are noses. (Interesting) If a man is said to be wearing pants and suspenders, the English picture him wearing underwear and a garter belt. (Very Interesting)

As far as accents go, I am hanging around English folks from now on… …that way I will sound more sophisticated...“Sorry to trouble you madam, however, I am in dire need of your loo.” So much better than…“Hey lady, where’s your can?”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The British and the Americans are two peoples separated by a common language. I think that's Mark Twain...

BA