Saturday, March 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandma

Daisy is 93 today… Just the mention of my grandmother’s name would want to make you smile…visions of sunny days with meadows full of open faced flowers.

Believe me, Daisy is the sharpest tool in the proverbial family toolbox. She has done crossword puzzles her whole life and is a whiz bang at Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. “Keen and Active Minds for $100, please…Alex.” My grandmother has always emphasized learning and the importance of education. She reads novels and stays up with current events. She loves to watch sports on TV… basketball, golf, tennis, football…and can tell you …the Celtics put an end to the Rocket's streak.

I remember the first time I knew my grandmother was da-bomb diggity fo sho. My grandfather had died years earlier and she was selling their camp, a converted electric building on a waterfall in Vermont. Anyway, I was with her that day and we were taking a trip to the camp in her dark green Thunderbird. It was the coolest car and darn fast…which is exactly the way she drove it. I think she was going 100 mph when a cop pulled us over…I remembered snickering to myself as the cop wrote up a ticket…thinking, “Yep, grandma is quite the ticket.”

This past fall I visited my grandmother in Florida and saw what a ticket she still is. Couldn’t beat her at Jeopardy or Wheel of Fortune...she’s way too good. She still has a love for learning new things and I would say I have learned from her. She is very tolerant of people and situations…she sees the good side of things. Maybe that is something that happens with age…when we get older, we get mellower. But I think I learned, why not be that way now. I also learned that she is a "Dancing with the Stars" fan!

Someday I hope to be like my grandmother…so MY grandkids will say... “Granny is one hot ticket fo sho!!!”

No comments: