Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Katcher in the Rye

What’s that sound you hear? Why that’s the sound of a helicopter…parent. You know, a parent who hovers over their kid and weed kills the dandelions from the path of life for dear Junior.

Let’s face it…we are from the generation that has coddled our children. We have obsessed over where they are going to pre-school, what teams they make, what teachers they get, what colleges they will attend. We have treated them like the princes and princesses we have created. We have put zillions of miles on our car, hauling them and their gear to practices and lessons. We have inflated their egos and gushed over every achievement. Everyone is a winner, a champion, and the next best…with a trophy. So stop Kat…aren’t you a helicopter parent too?

I consider myself a “Catcher in the Rye.” (I just think it sounds better!) The other day I was complaining (sometimes you just have to do that to feel better) and I said to no one in particular (who listens to me in the first place?), “I feel like I have to catch every one before they fall.” Just Holden Caufield Kat complaining. It can be very tiring, trying to make sure nothing slips through the cracks…that deadlines are met, appointments arranged, and stuff is getting done.

Today PaulA called the house and said to me, “Hello…Is the Catcher in the Rye home? Maybe someone was listening (Thanks PaulA).

I hear that helicopter parents are now extending their propeller reach to calling employers to negotiate salary and benefits for older Junior. Whoa….that is crazy. I promise I will draw the line…at least there. I guess I have to let my kids learn from their own mistakes and let them fall down once in awhile …which isn’t gonna be easy when you’re the…Katcher in the Rye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The difference between our generation and our parents' generation is simple arithmetic. I was one of seven. When Dad is out all the time trying to feed the masses, and Mom is at home, with one on the hip, tending to the others and basically trying to prevent chaos, it's difficult to coddle anybody. It's survival of the fittest. Holden Caufield must have been from a very large family...

BA