Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ice Ice Baby

When PaulA and I were newly married we would visit his parents. I always enjoyed going….there was a Dairy Queen on the way. On the trip we would drive by the DQ, but ALWAYS stop on the way home…EVERY single time. It didn’t matter to me that PaulA never wanted ice cream…that was his loss. We could have just eaten a 5 course meal complete with dessert a la mode, but it was understood….he just had to stop. You see I am a soft-serve ice cream fanatic.

The story goes: One day PaulA and Kat were in a pissin’ match. After all these years, do you think I can remember over what? There was a little tension in the air and then tension was replaced with the ole silent treatment….which isn’t particularly easy for me. But I was going to play the game …I too could be very childish.

So as we drove in silence, we were getting closer to the DQ…yup, DQ next stop. I could see it approaching….yup, DQ next stop. Nope, PaulA actually drove past the DQ without stopping. Okay, that did it for me. Seeing, I am not good at the silence game…

I broke the ice, “I can’t believe you didn’t stop.”
PaulA, feigning ignorance, “Oh, you wanted me to stop?”
“Of course,” I said, “we ALWAYS stop…you did that on purpose.”
He replied, “I’ll go back.”
So I continued with the childish behavior, “No, forget it. I don’t want it.”
PaulA replied, “I’m going back.”
He turned the car around, “Well, I want one.”
I bellowed, “What? You never get ice cream.”

He stopped at the DQ, came back with a large vanilla cone and we drove off. As he ate the cone, he made exaggerated slurping sounds, “ooh, schllupp, ahh…this is so good…yumm.”

I am not sure what came over me. I didn’t even think about it. In one motion…I reached over, grabbed the ice cream cone out of his hand…and threw it out my opened window. He looked at me….I looked at him…. and we both cracked up laughing. No more argument…no more silent treatment.

So here’s the moral of the story kids: It is always best to talk things out…silence is best replaced by laughter, and the biggie….don’t ever, EVER come between me and my ice cream!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i always liked this story! haha it's cute. love BIG C