Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bum Wrap

We all see them…the bum on the street asking for food, money, and sometimes money for booze (very clever bum in San Fran). I do have a heart. After all, I am not the tin man. I just don’t like it when they follow me down the street. I think a bum should know proper people boundaries and not invade your personal space…. Uh, am I the lone person who thinks this?

Some bums are quite polite and say “Have a Nice Day”…even if you haven’t given them anything. And then there are those pesky bums who pester you if you don’t give them anything… “Come on Man…can’t you spare anything?” It would be great if there was a bum manual… “How to beg but be respectful.” I think I might actually give more on the street if I encountered more polite bums.

The ones that I don’t understand are the ones that are at a light or a stop sign. Sometimes I will see one at the light leaving Wal-mart. I'm thinking, “Come on…I just spent my last dime in that trap, on stuff we don’t even need. Maybe I should just hand over the 3 plastic tub containers, silverware drawer organizer, and Glade plug-in."

Sometimes the bum is at the entrance to the highway…that was the case the other day. I was in the car with Bri and Big C. The bum was holding a sign that said 3 words:

Hungry
Homeless
Veteran

It was really sad. The 3 of us saw him at the same time and talked about what we should do. But the light turned green and we had to go because of the cars behind us. He wasn’t in the best spot to give a person a chance to react. It’s not like we were anticipating a bum toll when we were getting on the highway. Then Bri said from the backseat, “Oh, poor guy. He’s hungry and he’s a vegetarian.” Big C and I looked at each other when we heard her say this. Huh? What is she thinking? Then I started to laugh… “Bri that sign said Veteran, not vegetarian!” Brister is a very smart girl but sometimes she can fit the blonde stereotype very easily!!!

You know, I do think bums get a bum rap…especially since all they probably want from you is a bum wrap. And the next time you leave home….bring your vegetables…you might run into a Hungry Homeless Vegetarian.

No comments: